Summer is finally here! June is a month to begin winding down and preparing for a well-deserved break. This month’s maintenance will only consist of a few checks to your windows, caulking, and filters.
Regular filter maintenance is key to keeping your air conditioner functioning optimally. Dirty filters also affect the quality of the air and can increase allergies.
1) Check your filter label to know if it needs to be cleaned or replaced. It will also tell you the type of filter required if you need to replace the filter.
2) Clean or replace the filter.
1) A clever way to check for drafts is by holding a candle close to a closed door or window during a breezy day. If the flame bends even the slightest, you have a leak.
2) Check the caulking and glaze of the windows and doors for any signs of deterioration. If you prefer, call a professional to check your windows for any leaks!
Exterior Caulking Check
Caulking serves to keep drafts and water from leaking into your home. Weather causes exterior caulk deterioration over time so check your outside caulking twice a year to ensure that your home stays dry. Undetected water leaks can cause wood rot, and mold & mildew growth.
1) Investigate the condition of your caulking. Are there gaps or cracks? Is the caulk peeling away from the window frames? Is it shrinking or dusty? Use a caulk softener two hours before peeling away the old caulk with a putty knife. Once the caulk is soft, it will be easy to remove.
2) Peek under the doors for light peeping through.
3) There are many types of caulk available. Purchase the right caulk for your home and requirements. Ask a store associate if you need help. If you don’t already have a caulk gun, you’ll need to purchase one. It’s a $10-$15 investment towards easy home maintenance without having to call a pro.
4) Reapply caulk to the relevant areas and give yourself a pat on the back. Your home will thank you.
That’s it for this month’s home maintenance tips! Take care of your home, take care of each other, and thank you for trusting the TAG team to be here for all your real estate needs.
If you know of anyone who’s considering buying or selling a home, tell them to give us a call to get answers to their important questions.
For more information or if you have any real estate questions we're here for you!
Email us: email@example.com