Newport News Virginia occupies the western half of the Hampton Roads peninsula adjacent to the city of Hampton Virginia. Originally settled in the early 1600s Newport News underwent a number of name and boundary changes before becoming an independent city in 1896 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly. Originally the home of a Native American village that became know as Kecoughtan, the primary draw for early settlers was its fertile soils. The small farming and fishing village, once incorporated became Newport News Virginia. In the late 1800's the railroad arrived to this farming and fishing village and soon after came the great Shipyard. Between 1918 and 1920, this shipyard delivered 25 destroyers and is still operating today as NewPort News Shipyard (NNS). Hilton Village, which is also still around today, was one one of the first planned communities in the country and was built in 1918 by the federal government to house shipyard workers.
Newport News Virginia has many communities to call home, and still has an active new construction presence. If you are shopping for new construction in Newport News, click here to see all the Newport News Virginia new construction homes!